Tips You can have a 99% ad free browsing experience with little effort after the initial setup

olivia18

First I want to say there are more aggressive ways to do this like Pi-Hole and some commenters are going to mention it, but don't worry about that now. I suspect most of you clicking this are here because you're tired of ads and want to know how to do it, or already do it and want to know how I'm doing it.

You're also going to get people that are going to defend their chosen browser and that's fine. I don't care what you use. Your privacy is your own business and no one can make you care about it. I'm not going to lose any sleep if you keep using something as bad as Chrome or Brave.

First and foremost, I'm going to tell you to use Firefox. This isn't because I want to start a contest and argument of which is the best browser, even though I think it is largely because we're here talking about browsing the web ad free, tracker free, etc, and they are owned by a non-profit (Mozilla) whose primary function is protecting your privacy, not sifting through your data anonymously (Google).

Here are the principles of the Mozilla Foundation if interested, otherwise skip to the next section where you'll find what to install:

The Mozilla Manifesto

Our 10 Principles

Principle 1 - The internet is an integral part of modern life—a key component in education, communication, collaboration, business, entertainment and society as a whole.

Principle 2 - The internet is a global public resource that must remain open and accessible.

Principle 3 - The internet must enrich the lives of individual human beings.

Principle 4 - Individuals’ security and privacy on the internet are fundamental and must not be treated as optional.

Principle 5 - Individuals must have the ability to shape the internet and their own experiences on it.

Principle 6 - The effectiveness of the internet as a public resource depends upon interoperability (protocols, data formats, content), innovation and decentralized participation worldwide.

Principle 7 - Free and open source software promotes the development of the internet as a public resource.

Principle 8 - Transparent community-based processes promote participation, accountability and trust.

Principle 9 - Commercial involvement in the development of the internet brings many benefits; a balance between commercial profit and public benefit is critical.

Principle 10 - Magnifying the public benefit aspects of the internet is an important goal, worthy of time, attention and commitment.

Install these addons:
  1. uBlock Origin
  2. DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
  3. NoScript Security Suite
I have Bit Defender Anti-Tracker running as well, but I had to pay for that with my anti-virus crap so I'm not going to recommend it.

It'll take a couple of weeks of browsing your normal places. Sometimes you have to manually use uBlock Origins little eye dropper tool to manually block sections of websites. They rarely come back once added. This is the part that takes effort from the user because installing stuff is the easy part.

What does that give you?

Yesterday in this thread (np link), people were mocking it because of the onslaught of ads and other crap when you went there and talking about how this contributes to people on reddit not reading the articles, but instead just title and comments. I myself have been guilty of this. Some of the stuff people pointed out on this page were paid promotions, ads, alerts, auto-playing videos, etc.

This is what I see when I click that link

A nice clean browsing experience and the video doesn't start auto-playing.

You can thank @myeverything for asking me to create a LPT to help people see what I see when I browse.

I hope this has been helpful to someone.

@soundoctrine Been using it for months now and haven’t had any issues. Yes it’s built on chromium, but the roadmap of development is to build its own system.

@olivia18 piHole protects much more and offers cross-platform support ( phones, IOT , smart tv ) , and working along side the above, makes it all even better.

diversion + skynet are amazing if you have the right kind of router and would prefer to not need a piHole.

@eleses He said he will not go into piHole cause its extra effort and more to the point extra money. I wouldnt pay 50 $ for something so i can have 100% of protection when i can pay 0$ for 90%. I aint building a robot army, and nobody regular needs much more, though it has is uses wink. This setup can be fixed within 10 mins and takes a week to tune. I myself have the Mozilla adBlock+ and the NoScript and it makes the internet feel like its 2002.

@olivia18 Thanks for this!
Duck duck go privacy essentials won't come up for some reason.
It says it's only for Firefox browser, which is what I just downloaded.
Otherwise, it feels good to have put some basic protections in place.
Thanks again! This is really helpful.

@olivia18 So....running adblocker, shopping for an AR15, and pirating movies. I anticipate we'll hear about it on the news when the FBI raids the complex that your leader set up.

@rorc Funny and all. You will think privacy is a joke up unthill the point it turns into a dystopian nightmare. I asked a friend the other day (at work) about my washing mavhine not working and what to do about it. Tomorow my phone was poping adds about washing machines sales (thats the only time i talked about that and i never googled it on any device). The fucking mic on the samsung s7 is listening to my convo and is spaming me with add's... without my knowledge! Thats not the only thing but you hopefully get the idea.

@zedex First, "adds" targeted to me have been useful in the past and likely will be again.

Second, I don't say my PINs or passwords. So.no problems there.

Third, I don't visit parts of the Internet that routinely load malware onto my devices, and I run antivirus.

Fourth, the belief that you're not being surveilled makes you behave more recklessly than people who don't take precautions.

Fifth, they are out to get you, aren't they? Think about it!