Tips Request: How to make drastic life changes for health

@raykelley Sleep: is the first thing. Dedicate time to pre-sleeping. Take a shower, slowly, relax. Change your clothes (the sweat in your daytime clothes signal to your body that it's still "work-time").
Before getting into the bed, lay on something else (a sofa or on the ground, maybe on a mat or something), relax, stretch and massage. If you don't find anything to stretch or massage, don't stress it, dedicate only 5 minutes to that.
Of course, in that whole time (pre-sleeping) don't look at your phone.
Also, know that 100% cotton clothes are much more comfortable to sleep in, than polyester or nylon.

Second: food. Cut processed food (if you can't, do once/twice a week as a maximum). Cut refined sugar too: I'm not telling you to stop eating sugar, replace with ripe fruit and honey, eat them as much as you want. Increase your animal food intake (meat, dairy and eggs), minimize your grains, beans and veggies (animal food has just more nutrition, it's much more absorbable). Plants are good as medicine, but I feel like you need more nutrients to start with.
Alcohol and smoking, are not bad, only if you can do it once a week and no more.
Replace the dopamine sources, with exercise (something fun, that you would like to do, something you always wanted to test yourself in, something you wanted to try...), reading, watching something...anything but drugs.

Those are most important things, imo.

Have fun.

@raykelley When I got diagnosed with type 2 it really made me wake up to what I was doing to myself. I held onto that guilt and used it to get me up and moving every day because that's the hardest part. Once I got into that rhythm of making exercise a part of the day everything became easier. "Eat a fat burger? No way, I've been doing good this week." You don't need a gym or subscription to diet plans personal trainers custom exercise routines or pills or any fads all you need to do is get up and walk around a bit. Every. Day.

@raykelley Not a doctor, former personal trainer, also not saying that exercise can solve everything but at this point it might be your best option. Obviously start very small, walk to a neighbors house or something, then increase it every day by like 10 steps. Doesn't have to be back. And do it every day, make it a routine, a daily chore. Eventually you'll feel bad when you miss it but it takes a while to get there.

Its going to seem like the worst thing in the world when you start but stick with it. The feeling you get after exercise when done correctly is like a drug. Also I'm sure you've been told but you gotta stop the E cig at the very least. We still don't know how safe they are long term. But when it comes to the weed I mean, snoop is still alive lol

@raykelley First of all, congrats for realizing you need to make changes! And well done on nine years sober. That’s a huge feat, keep it up!
My first focus would be on quitting smoking. It’s not good for anyone, ever

@raykelley I’ve found that daily meditation gives me more ability to change and adapt. You might try one of the apps if you’re interested. Or pm me. As a fellow DVT survivor, my best wishes to you!

@aesecoena This is really the answer, get up and walk everyday, increase speed/distance as you can. Work with a doc for the rest, plenty of medical options to help as well, but consistent walking fixes a lot.

@raykelley If your mentally strong quite a few people who were 300+ do water fasts with a doctors supervision and are able to get to a proper weight. When your 300+ it can be assumed you have a food addiction since the brain rewards you with dopamine just like a drug addiction. Google a man named Jason Fung on youtube, check out the r/fasting community. If Water fasting is too tough for you, Intermittent Fasting and One Meal a Day are great tools as well to help you with controlling the risks/issues that come with being overweight.

@kay911 I have no good reason there. The really stupid thing is that I started after the PEs! I've got issues with self-destructive behavior and a long ass history with depression. Essentially, it's been a long time since I've cared whether I live or die. By some miracle, though, I met an amazing guy who's brought so much goodness into my life. He provided hospice care for his mom until she passed. She had a massive heart attack that almost killed her, then lung cancer, which did kill her. He doesn't deserve to have someone he loves die on him like that again. This has been a major motivating factor for me. It helped wake me up to what I'm doing to myself... and him.

@excpomelo I'm very sedentary at the moment. Most of my day is spent in my room. Some days I eat once, some days I graze all day. My choices aren't good, though. I eat a lot of cereal, ramen, or bread.

@raykelley Easy first step is to be less sedentary in a way that you can keep up every day. For example, cleaning something every day like sweeping or vacuuming is a good way to get moving. Baby steps count!!!! You won't be going to the gym every day of the week it's too hard. Small goals here.