Tips If you have trouble sleeping and/or head aches from being on your computer download f.lux software free

sirgav1n

During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

f.lux
f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

@sirgav1n Oh man I just installed this 50 seconds ago at 5 am the screen turned a morning orange and it felt like my eyes were being given a massage, sadly no happy ending :(

@aperella First time I tried it was exactly like that. I've tried to replicate the feeling, but I can't. I think it was just a one off for the first time I tried it. It was gone midnight and when I loaded it up I felt my eyes relaxing.

@joy642 I hot-keyed "invert colors" to triple-button hit on my iPhone. When I read I can just activate that now and go black background on white text, I find it a lot easier on the eyes.

@sirgav1n Wow, at first I read it and said impossible... but this shit actually works!! In the first couple of minutes it sucks but then when you switch it back to the normal white again you see how annoying it really is.

@devaofprayze Yeah I was dubious but after a week or so I was seeing some definite improvement. One month in now and WOW, huge improvement in my sleep patterns. Previously it would take me between 30-60 minutes to fall asleep and getting out of bed was just as hard, since using F.Lux I can fall asleep within a couple of minutes and bounce out of bed in the morning :)

@yaoshi since this only changes color temp and not brightness, this is a good question. I think it must extend battery life on my iPhone? And feel differently RE: laptop. Sorry - not exactly an answer.

@prodigalredeemed just fyi, it DOES work on both laptop and desktop. I have both next to each other. the key is this: tilt of the laptop screen. most of us tilt it backwards, ie greater than 90, so it actually doesn't look like its working but it is, you just have to tilt to 90 or less--i compare it to my 24" desktop monitor