Tips If you have trouble rolling your R's, try saying a D or P consonant just beforehand

cmukwena

If you're trying to roll your R's for a language like Spanish and struggling to do so, try saying a D (duh) or P (puh) consonant, and then immediately go into the rolling R sound. It won't help you say every word that includes rolling R's (rr), but it will help to teach you the motor function of how the tongue and mouth work together.

@cmukwena There's a nursery rhyme to help Spanish-speaking children that have problems rolling the Rs:

"El perro de San Roque

No tiene rabo

Porque Ramón Rodríguez

Se lo ha cortado."

The person teaching them has to exaggerate the Rs as they come. They think it's funny and end up learning.

@asaydworthe I've remember this one:

"Erre con erre, guitarra.

Erre con erre, barril.

Mira que rápido ruedan las rápidas ruedas del ferrocarril"

And my little brother saying it like:

"Ere RR con ere RR, guitara RRR"...

@kvarsh I learned the ferrocarril line while I was taking Spanish in high school... I would always run the L out at the end too bc I was soooo cool 'ferrocarrilllllllllllllllll' 😎

@glitterfloozy Interesting, but both "cortado" and "robado" use strong Rs, as opposed to "araña" o "paraguas". The key, however, is rolling the Rs excessively and making a game out of it. As in "coRRRRtado" o "RRRRobado".

@glitterfloozy No, it's not. All of those are hard Rs. Soft Rs are usually followed by vowels, like "para" as opposed to "parra" (the plant) or "cariño" as opposed to "carril" or "caro" as opposed to "carro". Notice how the double R indicates the hard R.

For example, compare the hard R in "amor" with the soft R in the Italian word "amore".

@asaydworthe I see a lot of that in random blogs, but that doesn’t make it true. The RAE is very clear that an r in the end of a syllable or word is pronounced as a soft r: “En posición final de sílaba o de palabra, la r se articula como percusiva (arte [árte], comer [komér])”

See point 2.a in the discussion: https://www.rae.es/dpd/r

@glitterfloozy No. You can't tell me that the first "r" in "parir" is pronounced exactly the same as the 2nd one. The 1st one is soft, the 2nd one is hard. The final "r" in any infinitive verb, including "comer", is pronounced hard.

The first R sound in "cerrar" is as hard as the second.

It's impossible to pronounce a soft R before T ("cortado", "partido", "arte") or as the final sound in any given word (any infinitive, "amor", "calor", etc.).

Go to https://www.bing.com/translator and enter "arte" as the origin word. Click on the speakerphone and you'll hear her rolling the r. Same thing with "cortado".

@asaydworthe I suppose you can pronounce words any way you like it. The point is that the RAE studies how most native Spanish speakers talk, organizes that knowledge and codifies it. I don’t know anyone who would agree the rr (vibrating) and r (tapping) sounds in “correr” are the same. But if you hear it that way, I won’t disagree.

@glitterfloozy That's not the point. I can also say that I dont know anyone that would disagree with me. Check TVE Live and pay attention to how the news anchors and correspondents pronounce infinitives or Rs before Ts and see if you can hear the Rs rolling. Because I've heard them multiple times as I'm writing this. They just said "retirar" with hard / soft / hard Rs, that is, rolling the 1st and 3rd but not the 2nd. It has been always like this.

The RAE "limpia y da esplendor" but sometimes they look like a body of busybodies. Like when they deprecated the accent in monosillabyc words. We used to write "sí" (affirmative) with an accent over the "i" to distinguish it from "si" (conditional). Now it's optional and readers need to figure it out through context. I won't be surprised when they deprecate or make optional the ¿ symbol.